We issue licences for hackney carriages, private hire vehicles, drivers and private hire operators, and carry out inspections to ensure that standards are maintained.
Licences for drivers, vehicles and operators must all be issued by the same licensing authority. Application forms are available below.
We issue a single licence for drivers, which allows them to drive either a hackney carriage or a private hire vehicle. Application forms and guidance documents are available below.
We have a duty to ensure that licences to drive hackney carriages and private hire vehicles are only granted to 'fit and proper' persons.
In order to establish whether applicant is a 'fit and proper person' to be a licensed driver we require:
- an enhanced criminal record check (Formerly CRB, now DBS - disclosure and barring service)
- a medical examination
- a topographical knowledge test of the city of Leicester
- a practical driving test specifically aimed at taxi driving. Please note that we are currently sourcing new providers for this assessment, following the DVSA’s withdrawal from the service. More details will be published here as soon as possible, but this is not likely to be before January 2017.
- a spoken English assessment
- the applicant must have held a full British or EU Driver's Licence for at least 12 months.
- a check all applicants’ immigration status. Details of acceptable documents are available on the Home Office website.
The application forms and guidance documents for a taxi driver's licence application are available below.
Applicants must also complete an application form for a criminal record check via the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). As each form has a unique number these cannot be made available online. Forms can be completed at the customer service centre when new applications are made. Applicants will have a form posted to them in advance, or can complete a form at their licensing appointment.
Once licensed, all drivers are required to complete an awareness course on child sexual exploitation within three months of their licence being granted. This applies to existing drivers from their renewal date between November 2015 and October 2016 inclusive. It applies to all new drivers from November 2015 onward.
The cost of this will be met by Leicester City Council for existing drivers but new applicants will be charged an additional £20 when they first apply for a driver’s licence.
We operate a penalty points scheme. Details of recent enforcement actions are attached below.
Please see the information on the Hackney carriages section.
Private hire vehicles
Please see the information on the private hire vehicles section.