The Leicester City Council Licensing Team issues licences for hackney carriages, private hire vehicles, drivers and private hire operators, and carries out inspections to ensure that standards are maintained.
Licences for drivers, vehicles and operators must all be issued by the same licensing authority. Application forms are available below.
We issue a single licence for drivers, which allows them to drive either a hackney carriage or a private hire vehicle. Application forms and guidance documents are available below.
We have a duty to ensure that licences to drive hackney carriages and private hire vehicles are only granted to 'fit and proper' persons.
In order to establish whether applicant is a 'fit and proper person' to be a licensed driver we require:
- an enhanced criminal record check (Formerly CRB, now DBS - disclosure and barring service) See the private hire vehicles section
- a medical examination
- a topographical knowledge test of the city of Leicester
- a practical driving test with the Driving Standards Agency - specifically aimed at taxi driving
- a spoken English assessment
- the applicant must have held a full British or EU Driver's Licence for at least 12 months.
The application forms and guidance documents for a taxi driver's licence application are available below.
Applicants must also complete an application form for a criminal record check via the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). As each form has a unique number these cannot be made available online. Forms can be completed at the Customer Service Centre when new applications are made. Renewal applicants will have a form posted to them in advance, or can complete a form at their licensing appointment.
Hackney carriages are usually the traditional 'black cab' style. They can be flagged down in the street and can wait on designated taxi ranks. Maximum fares for hackney carriages are set by the council.
Hackney carriages meet the legal definition of a 'taxi' and so are exempt from some traffic regulation orders, eg, bus lanes. Any exemption will be indicated by signs at the roadside.
- Conditions of fitness that apply to hackney carriage vehicles are available below
- Details of the types of vehicle we have approved for licensing as hackney carriages are available below
- Drivers of hackney carriages must comply with the local byelaws, which are reproduced below
Leicester City Council has a limit on the number of new hackney carriage licences that will be issued. Further details can be obtained from the licensing section
Private hire vehicles
Please see the information on the private hire vehicles section
Contact the licensing team
If you have query regarding a licence or permit please contact us.
Send us a message
Write to us
If you need to send us a letter, please use the following address…
Leicester City Council,
115 Charles Street,