ESOL - English for Speakers of Other Languages
Our English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) courses will help you improve your speaking, listening and writing in English.
We have courses for all levels from beginners to advanced.
How we can help
Our ESOL courses will help you to:
- improve your speaking and listening
- develop your reading and writing in English
- prepare for work in the future
- learn about life in the UK.
We have ESOL courses for all levels from beginners to advanced. We offer morning, afternoon and evening classes in a community setting near you. Our classes are fun, lively and multicultural. All our classes are taught by highly experienced and well qualified teachers.
How to enrol
Before you join our ESOL classes, you need to come and talk to one of our teachers at one of our assessment sessions. The teacher will talk to you and ask you to do some reading and writing to find out your level and give you advice about the best class for you. Use the quick link 'How to enrol' at the top of the page to enquire.
What you'll need to bring for the assessment
On the day of the assessment please bring the following:
- passport and ID card
- ESOL classes are not automatically free, but many learners are eligible for free courses or reduced fees. Please bring any proof of benefits and/or method of payment with you on the day of your assessment. In some cases, we can arrange for you to pay the fees in instalments.
At the assessment you will be told which level you need to study and agree a timetable.
If you are on a course that is higher than the start-up course, you can take ESOL exams at your level. Our ESOL qualifications are accredited by Trinity College. For more information visit Trinity College's website.
You can take three exams:
- speaking and listening
If you would like to apply for indefinite leave to remain or apply for British Citizenship, you must:
- have a certificate in English that shows you are at entry 3 or above
- Pass Life in the UK test.
Our ESOL qualifications are accepted as evidence for your level of English. We also have a course that can help you prepare for the Life in the UK test.