Apply for housing
To apply for a council home you will need to complete an application.
Once we have received your completed application form, we will put you in one of four bands depending on your current housing circumstances.
Once you are on the register, you will need to apply for housing using our letting scheme, called Leicester HomeChoice, you can find the quick link above.
We advertise vacant properties online every week, and you will need to apply for homes to be considered for them. You will not be offered a home unless you apply through this system.
Who can join the housing register?
You can apply to join the housing register provided:
- You are eligible for an allocation of accommodation
- You are aged 18 over
- You meet one of the housing need priorities in bands one to four as set out in the housing allocations policy
- You meet at least one of the following criteria:
- You have lived continuously in the city of Leicester for the past two years in settled accommodation prior to making your application
You have previously lived in settled accommodation in the city for three consecutive years out of the last five years
You are currently working in the city and have been for the last 12 months
You need to give or receive support to direct family members who have been living in the city for the past five years
You are a council or housing association tenant who needs to move for work related reasons.
Who doesn't qualify?
There are restrictions on some people who cannot apply. You do not qualify to join the housing register if:
- You do not meet any of the above requirements
- You are a homeowner
- Your family household’s gross income is more than £40,000 per annum or £25,000 per annum for a single person household
- You have savings or assets totalling more than £50,000
- You are excluded from appearing on the housing register (i.e. due to your immigration status or because of anti-social behaviour)
- It has been found you have given false or misleading information
- You have deliberately worsened your housing circumstances.
Housing Options Service, Customer Service Centre, 91 Granby Street, Leicester, LE1 6FB.
Opening times: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 8.30am - 5pm
Wednesday 9.30am - 6pm
Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm
Ring us on: 0116 454 1008