Apply for housing
To apply for a council home you will need to complete an application. All applicants must be aged 18 or older and in housing need.
Once we have received your completed application form, we will put you in one of four bands depending on your current housing circumstances.
Once you are on the register, you will need to apply for housing using our letting scheme, called Leicester HomeChoice, you can find the quick link above.
We advertise vacant properties online every week, and you will need to apply for homes to be considered for them. You will not be offered a home unless you apply through this system.
Who can join the housing register?
You must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- You have lived in Leicester city, and have been living within the city, for at least 12 consecutive months prior to making your application
- You are employed within Leicester city, or have a firm job offer with a contract of employment for at least 12 months
- You have previously lived in Leicester city for two consecutive years out of the last five
- Assessed as being homeless person by completing a form at our Housing Options centre.
Who can't apply?
There are restrictions on whether some people can apply. You will be unable to apply for homes if:
- Your housing registration has been cancelled
- You are excluded from appearing on the housing register (i.e. due to your immigration status or because of anti-social behaviour)
- It has been found you have given false or misleading information.
Write to us: Housing Options Advice Centre, Phoenix House, Welford Place, LE1 6RN
Ring us on: 0116 454 1008
Send us a message