Help with your mortgage
We can offer help to homeowners who are facing repossession. Country-wide schemes are available to ease the burden of mortgage repayments.
If you are facing repossession, we should be your first point of contact. Our details are available at the bottom of the page.
What help is available?
The help available to qualifying homeowners is as follows:
- Shared ownership: where homeowners can sell a share in their property to a housing association to reduce mortgage payments
- Shared equity: where homeowners can take out a loan from a housing association to cut mortgage payments
- Sale and rent back: where homeowners can sell their property to a housing association and then rent it back.
You can also claim income support for mortgage interest repayments after 13 weeks, and sooner than that in some circumstances.
How else can we help you ?
We can accompany people to court and introduce them to people who can act on their behalf. We can assist with paperwork and help complete defence papers.
However, we offer help before things get that far. We can advise struggling homeowners on how to negotiate with their mortgage lender, as there may often be room for manoeuvre.
If it is not possible to prevent repossession, we can investigate whether a homeowner will be made homeless. If so, we can help you find accommodation.
Several advice centres are available in Leicester:
- Shelter Housing Aid and Research Project, 13 Welford Road: 0116 254 6064
- Community Legal Advice Centre, 1 Bishop Street: 0116 242 1120
- Revenues and Benefits Service, 91 Granby Street: 0116 454 1006
- Leicester Money Advice, Epic House, Charles Street
- Welfare Rights Service: 0116 225 4888
Ring us on: 0116 454 1007
Send us a message