Search leicester city council
Main menu
Advice & Benefits

Housing benefit

You might be able to claim housing benefit to help you pay towards your rent if you are on a low income. You can apply for it whether you are unemployed or working.


What you can claim in Leicester?

The amount that you can claim depends on a number of things:

  • the amount you pay for your rent
  • if you rent privately or from a council or housing association
  • your household income and savings.


The amount you may receive will also be limited depending on whether you live in a property which is appropriate for your needs. If you live in a council or housing association home and you are under occupying according to the new criteria your benefit will be reduced by 14% if you have one extra bedroom; and 25% if you have two or more extra bedrooms.


If you live in private sector housing, the amount that you can claim depends on what the average rents are in your area – find out what your local housing allowance is.


Who can claim housing benefit?

You can apply for housing benefit if

  • you pay rent. If you are an owner-occupier you may be able to get help towards your mortgage payments
  • you’re on a low income or claim other benefits
  • you have less than £16,000 in savings, property or shares.


You can claim if you live with a partner – but only one of you may claim housing benefit.

How will my benefit be paid?

In most cases the money will be paid directly into your rent account. If you are under occupying then you will need to arrange to pay the shortfall in your rent to your landlord.


How much will I receive?

You can use our Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction Calculator to estimate how much benefit you may be entitled to. This information can be automatically added to your online claim form if you decide to apply.

How to apply

You will need to contact us to make a claim for Housing Benefit and for Council Tax Reduction. You can apply:
  • Online: fill in the form here

  • By phone: 0116 454 1006 and ask for an application form to be sent to you
  • In person: 91 Granby Street, Leicester, LE1 6FB


You can find out more about housing benefit at*


*External links open new windows. Leicester City Council is not responsible for the content and services on external websites or any software downloaded to your computer.