Search leicester city council
Main menu
Advice & Benefits

How to make a claim

If you want to claim housing benefit, then you do so through us. You can also apply for the council tax reduction scheme, community support grant or discretionary housing payments.

If you are applying for housing benefit at the same time as applying for one the benefits listed below you should contact Jobcentre Plus*

  • employment and support allowance
  • income support or
  • jobseeker’s allowance.

If you don’t receive anything, then you need to:

  • Fill out a formonline, print, sign and send the declaration, with supporting documents to us.

  • Take your form to our customer service centre along with the supporting documents. If you forget or don’t have the right documents with you, you can make an appointment with us at a later date.

If you are housebound or elderly, our welfare visiting service can help you complete the form at home and verify your supporting information. You can contact us to request this assistance.

For other benefits, including child benefit and income support, then visit the* website for details of how to claim, as these are not managed by us.

Contact us

To find out further information you can contact us.


*External links open new windows. Leicester City Council is not responsible for the content and services on external websites or any software downloaded to your computer.