Search leicester city council
Main menu
Community & Living

Student Recycling

Students in mortar boards
Students in mortar boards

Welcome to the student waste and recycling section. How you can recycle depends on whether you live on campus or off campus. If you live off campus you may have orange recycling bags or communal recycling bins. If you live on campus you may have communal recycling bins.



I live off campus, how can I recycle? 

When you live off campus you are entitled to the same recycling and waste facilities as any other resident in Leicester.


If you live in a house you should have a black wheeled bin and orange bags in which you can recycle a range of materials.

If you live in a flat you may have communal refuse bins and access to recycling - this may be in the form of Orange Recycling Bags or communal recycling bins. 


To find out what recycling service you have please call 0116 454 1002.


I live in a Hall of Residence owned by the University of Leicester, how do I recycle?

If you live in a hall of residence owned by the University of Leicester please visit their webpages to find out how you can recycle.


I live in a Hall of Residence (private or DMU), how can I recycle?

DMU Student Accomodation
DMU Student Accomodation

Below is a list of all halls of residence which currently have recycling facilities. 


The halls below have clearly identified recycling bins which you will find near to your waste bins.   

Hall of Residence Address
Victoria Hall 33 Castle Street
Gosling Court 112 Grange Lane
Kingfisher Court 21 Grange Lane
Grosvenor House  Newarke Street
Liberty Park 101 Raw Dykes Road
New Wharf Hall 42-48 Western Boulevard
Bede Hall 51 Western Boulevard

Spectrum Western Challenge

Walnut Street
Waterway Gardens (houses) Mint/Sage Road
Mansion Court 35Grasmere Street
Opal Court 60 Lancaster Road
CODE - Eastern Road Entrance off Rydal street
CODE - Western Road Western Road
Zip Building 1 39-41 Allswater Street
Zip Building 2 39-41 Entrance on  Rydal Street 
The Grange 41 Grange Lane
Filbert Village 1 Lineker Road
CODE - Upperton Road  
The Summit  Eastern Boulevard


Please note that not all campus residences have recycling facilities yet.


What items can I recycle?

If you live on campus in one of the halls of residence listed in the table above, have Orange Recycling Bags or have the Orange Recycling Service communal recycling bins, you can recycle the following:


  • Household plastics including, all plastic food containers e.g margarine tubs, ready meal trays and yogurt pots; plastic film, carrier bags and plastic bottles

  • Newspapers

  • Cardboard packaging

  • Cereal boxes and greeting cards 

  • Food tins

  • Drink and food cartons e.g Tetra Pak
  • Glass bottles and jars


Please remember to make sure all items are clean and that no food waste is left on them.