We have a community support grant scheme to support vulnerable people experiencing financial difficulties.
Support will be given for food, goods or services in a crisis situation, or where there is exceptional financial pressure on an individual or family.
There are two types of grant available:
Crisis grant: Where a person is in crisis and the financial support required is immediate and urgent.
- Support grant: Where the person is in need of support due to financial hardship but the need is not immediate.
Awards will be made by way of a voucher/card/goods system. Cash will only be paid in as a last resort and where there is no other alternative.
Each case will be treated on its own merits, and all customers will receive equal and fair treatment. You can download the community support grant policy at the bottom of the page to find out if you are eligible.
How do I apply?
To apply for a grant, you can call 0116 454 1019, between 8.30am and 5pm from Monday to Friday.
If you are homeless, or think you are at risk of being homeless, call 0116 454 1008. For an out-of-hours emergency, call 0116 255 1606.
Awards will be made for the provision of:
- Utility connection charges
- Removal or storage charges
- White goods
- Household goods
- Travel (in certain emergency situations).
Purpose of the grants
The service has a number of aims:
- to alleviate poverty
- to support vulnerable young people in the transition to adult life
- to safeguard residents in their own homes
- to help those who are trying to help themselves
- to keep families together
- to support the vulnerable in the local community
- to help people through personal and difficult events.