Housing Services is replacing all its old inefficient back boilers, wall hung, and floor standing boilers with modern efficient gas fired combination boilers.
We carry out regular servicing and maintenance of our gas boilers, and our engineers identify which boilers need replacing on a ‘worst first’ basis.
Tenants can still ask for repairs to their boilers in the usual way: either by calling 0116 252 7007 or via our online repairs reporting site
See Gas Safe
for further advice on safety once you have read this page.
Why are we replacing boilers?
These boilers have a number of advantages over existing boiler and cylinder systems:
Return to top
- A modern efficient gas boiler - Designed with your comfort in mind, the new boiler has a faster heat-up time than the old boilers, so your house will get warmer, quicker.
- Constant supply of hot water - Designed with your needs in mind, the new boiler heats the water as you use it, so no more waiting for the cylinder to warm up, you & your family can enjoy bath after bath.
- Lower gas bills - Designed with your pocket in mind, because the new boiler is more efficient, and gets rid of the need for stored hot water, your gas bills will be lower.
What work is involved?
The old boiler will be stripped out; if it’s a back boiler then we will fit a new electric fire in its place; the new boiler will then be fitted in your existing airing cupboard, whenever possible.
We have to strip out redundant pipework and install new pipework, to connect-up your existing heating, hot, cold, and gas service.
This will mean lifting up floorboards, and as we also fit Thermostatic Radiator Valves, (TRV’s) to almost every radiator, there may be some disruption in most rooms.
We will also check that the loft insulation is up to standard, and upgrade it if necessary. We may even have to work on your roof to remove the old redundant flue liner.
Return to top
Preparing for the work
Householders will need to:
- Allow access into all rooms of the property, for fitting TRVs, connecting up pipework, etc.
- Empty the airing cupboard of all linen, towelling, clothing etc. and any other items you may be storing in there.
How long does this take?
Normally our heating teams are in and out the same day, and your new boiler is working in time for tea.
Return to top
- Keep children well away when the fitters are working inside the house.
- Do not let children climb any ladders/steps or play with any equipment.
- Remove breakable items from shelves, and take pictures off walls.
- If tenants have anything that needs extra protection, they should put it safely away, or add their own extra dust sheets.