Heritage Open Days
Heritage Open Days celebrates England's fantastic architecture and history by offering free access to properties that are usually closed to the public or normally charge for admission. This year's event will take place over the long weekend of 12th - 15th September 2013.
The long weekend offers a once-a-year chance to discover hidden architectural treasures and enjoy a wide range of tours, events and activities which bring to life local history and culture. See the 2013 Heritage Open Days events in Leicester.
The Story of Leicester Plan
The Story is Leicester Plan is a set of council priorities relating to Leicester’s heritage, especially the historic heart of the city, and using and interpreting Leicester’s different heritages to maximise economic and social benefits for its modern citizens.
These are drawn together in a single Story of Leicester plan (updated April 2013). We are delivering this with a range of partners including Leicester’s universities, the National Trust, local organisations and volunteers. By telling the ‘One Story’ of Leicester’s proud history, made up of many, we celebrate all the communities that make up the one community of Leicester.
The Story of Leicester Plan includes:
- A Story of Leicester “brand” identifying key initiatives
- Story of Leicester web pages on the council’s website
- Introduction and Modern Leicester gallery at New Walk Museum & Art Gallery
- Introduction in Visit Leicester Centre
- New displays featuring key collections and themes
- Enhanced city centre heritage interpretation
- Improved heritage buildings and the historic environment
- Marking Leicester’s important anniversaries and centenaries
- Telling the stories of Leicester’s communities and neighbourhoods
- Encouraging our children to enjoy its one story made up of many
The Story of Leicester summary plan is available to download at the end of this page.
For any comments on the summary report please email: email@example.com
For details of tours of Leicester Museums and the Newarke area, visit the museums website.
Please follow the links below for information about Leicester's History and Heritage.
Read a Brief History of the city, or a more detailed account in our Civic History pages.
Find out about Blue Plaques, Statues and Sculpture, and War Memorials.
Read the history of Leicester Castle and Leicester Abbey, of Leicester's Roman and Medieval Gates, and find out about Leicester's West End, and the heritage of the East Midlands' knitting industry.
Each September, take the opportunity to visit hidden architectural treasures. Visit our Heritage Open days page.
View Key Facts about Leicester.
Download The Story of Leicester Plan below: