William Carey was for some years Minister of Harvey Lane Baptist Chapel in Leicester, moving there from Moulton in Northamptonshire in 1789. While in Leicester he published his book 'Enquiry', a study of world languages and religions. In 1793 he left Harvey Lane to become a missionary in India, where he devoted much of the rest of his life to translations of the Scriptures, translating the Bible into six languages and the New Testament into thirty three. The chapel in Harvey Lane was destroyed by fire in 1921, and the nearby cottage in which Carey lived was demolished in 1968 to make way for the Central Ring Road. From 1915, it had served as a House of Memories and a museum to Carey, visited by Christians from all over the world.
The Blue Plaque is located at the site of his cottage, opposite the main entrance to Holiday Inn, St. Nicholas Circle.