The Blue Plaque is located at the site of the former hospital - Saxon House, corner of Causeway Lane and East Bond Street.
Known locally as Bond Street Hospital, this was Leicester's first maternity hospital and the inspiration of the local branch of the National Union of Women Workers. Their aim was to open a small maternity hospital for the training of midwives and lying-in facilities for working class women. The Union raised the money for the hospital through public subscription, and four cottages adjacent to the Leicester Provident Dispensary were purchased and converted.
The Hospital opened in July 1905. Among the local women involved, Agnes Fielding Johnson was especially committed to the project and to its successful operation. Before her death, in 1916, a plaque was erected in the hospital to acknowledge her support. Jean Gray, matron of the hospital from 1905 to 1935, also received recognition for her long and dedicated service when she was awarded the MBE in 1932. Leicester Royal Infirmary eventually took over the maternity hospital in 1940.
Bond Street Hospital finally closed on 2 February 1971, when the Infirmary opened its new maternity wing.