From 1970 to 1971 a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) was made under the Housing Act of 1957 to allow "outworn terraces" to be cleared. This allowed road works for an improved western approach to the city along the A47 and King Richards Road.
1,084 houses were cleared in total under the CPO.
Part of the redevelopment proposals included new accommodation for students from Leicester Polytechnic (now De Montfort University). However before construction, the Polytechnic found it had no need for further accommodation.
This area now supports a residential development, built by Leicester City Council in the 1970s. The eastern part of the CPO site has some modern commercial buildings, including large retail warehouses.