Ukrainians after World War II
Following the end of World War II, there were changes in the make up of the population in the West End. The 1951 Census recorded 1,029 people born in the USSR, mainly Ukrainians, in the City. The older terraced houses in the West End provided rented accommodation "...this accounts for the emergence of the Ukrainian community in the West End".Leicester in the 20th Century: Nash and Reeder (Alan Sutton, 1993)
Due to the nature of the migration, the Ukrainian men were separated from the women and twice as many males than women arrived in Leicester. As a consequence many single men married local girls and a close-knit community was formed.
Orthodox Ukrainians held services at St Michael's Church on Melton Road and at the Martyrs' Church on Westcotes Drive. This helped maintain Ukrainian culture in the area.
One section of the community worshipped at St Peter's Church in King Richards Road and met in a community hall on Westcotes Drive in 1958.
This group amassed enough capital and later bought its own church on the corner of Hinckley road and Fosse Road South (pictured above). This building was bought from the Methodists, who themselves moved to St Andrew's Methodist Church on the corner of Fosse Road and Glenfield Road; here they combined with other Methodists to form a new church.