Search leicester city council
Main menu
Health & Social Care

Applying for social care services

about adult social care

We provide social care services for adults and older people in Leicester.


This webpage explains how you can apply for social care services.

  • How much does the service cost?
  • Other information/forms
  • Useful contacts



More information

Our aim is to arrange personal care for people so that they can live independently in their own homes for as long as they want to or are able to. We also help people to arrange their own support.


The sorts of services we might help to provide include giving advice, arranging care services at home or elsewhere, and supporting carers.


If you think that you - or someone you care for - needs personal care, contact us and ask for support. You can:

  • ask someone else, such as a friend, relative or your GP to contact us for you
  • speak to a nurse or social worker if you are in hospital
  • contact us directly yourself.


If you would like to apply for social care services, get in touch with us. You can call in to our offices:

Leicester City Adult Social Care
1 Grey Friars

Leicester LE1 5PH

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday, 9am-4pm.


Or, you can call 0116 454 1004. Our phoneline is open Monday to Thursday 8.30am-5pm, Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm.




For emergencies only, outside of office hours and at weekends and bank holidays, telephone 0116 255 1606. The emergency team will respond to any crisis that cannot wait until the next working day.

Because we have a limited budget, we have to make sure our services reach the people who need them most. That’s why, when you ask us for help, we will carry out an assessment to determine what your needs are and how we might be able to help. 

We will discuss with you, your family and people who help you what can be done for you, what the best option will be for you and whether there will be any charges involved.

How much does the service cost?

We provide many different social care services for adults, and these have different costs. You may be eligible for financial support from us to help meet these costs.


To find out more, see our section on buying and paying for services and support. 


Other information/forms

Independent advice may be helpful when discussing any suggestions or recommendations that are put to you or those who look after you.

People who can give you independent advice include:

People with a hearing loss might also like to contact Action Deafness, which provides services on our behalf:

Action Deafness

1st Floor, Peepul Centre

Orchardson Avenue

Leicester LE4 6DP


Tel: 0844 593 7440 

Fax: 0844 593 8441

Minicom: 0844 593 8442

SMS: 07949 632 644


An interpretation service is available to help people whose first language is not English.


Useful links


Age UK Leicester Shire & Rutland

The Carers Centre


Fairdeal- disability empowerment and advocacy in Leicestershire:

Unit 15,

3rd Floor Matrix House,

Constitution Hill,

Leicester LE1 1PL

Tel: 0116 225 2052

LEEAP (Leicestershire Ethnic Elderly Advocacy Project):

33 Chandos Street,

Leicester LE2 1BL

Tel: 0116 275 5515

Leicestershire Centre for Integrated Living - empowering disabled people in order to gain access to information, advice and services.


Adult Social Care Directory

Contact us