Noise from domestic, commercial and industrial sources can be annoying, disturb sleep and cause distress to neighbours.
If you need to contact us about a noise complaint, please call 0116 454 1001 or use the quick link above to report an issue.
For emergency out-of-hours help (6pm to 8am), call 0116 254 4344 or use the quick link above to report an issue.
What action can we take?
If we witness a noise nuisance, action we can take includes:
- serving informal letters and/or legal notices
- interviews under caution
- seizure of noise equipment
- disabling audible intruder alarms
For commercial premises, we can take action if conditions on a premises licence are breached and/or planning conditions are contravened.
Commercial and industrial noise
- Music from bars, restaurants, clubs
- Noisy equipment in commercial or industrial premises e.g. air conditioning units
- Construction and demolition sites.
- Alarms from commercial premises.
- Loud music and musical instruments
- Outdoor events (for more information, please download our leaflet below).
- Alarms from domestic premises.
- Car alarms.
Noise can be very distressing. It must be classed as a 'noise nuisance' for us to take action, which means it has to be regularly affecting your quality of life. This can include disturbing sleep or being heard clearly over your television. We have to assess the level of noise before taking action to determine whether it can be classed as a noise nuisance.
How can I avoid causing noise nuisance?
Almost all noise problems can be avoided if consideration is given to how the noisy activity might affect your neighbours. Our leaflets below provide advice and simple tips on how to avoid causing noise nuisance. If you require any further information, please contact us.
If you have an audible intruder alarm fitted to your property, you must ensure it is regularly maintained. If your alarm is sounding continuously for more than 20 minutes and we receive complaints about the noise, we have powers to disconnect it. We have to charge for this service and it could cost you more than £200.