Orange bag recycling service
In Leicester, you can use orange bags or communal bins to recycle your household items. Find out how to use your bags, what you can recycle and how to order more bags.
How do I use my orange bags?
- Rinse - please make sure all items that have contained food or drink are clean
- Fill up your bags - you can use as many orange bags as you need for your recycling
- Tie your bags - securely tie the top of the bags, as this helps to reduce litter
- Collection - put your bags out on your normal collection day.
You can download our 'Frequently Asked Questions' and 'Recycling at Home' leaflet at the bottom of the page, which explains more about your recycling service.
What can I recycle?
Please make sure you rinse all items that contained food or drink - no food waste will be accepted.
- Plastic bottles and plastic food containers (e.g. margarine tubs, ready meal trays and yoghurt pots)
- Plastic film and plastic carrier bags
- Food tins and foil trays
- Drink cans
- Empty aerosols
- Drink/food cartons (e.g. Tetra Pak)
- Glass bottles/jars
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogues
- Junk mail and envelopes
- Wrapping paper and greeting cards
- Telephone directories (e.g. Yellow Pages)
- Cereal boxes
- Cardboard packaging
You can download a detailed list of what can and can’t be recycled at the bottom of the page, along with a full guide to your recycling service.
How do I order more orange bags?
You can use our online form in the 'quick links' above, or the yellow sticker you will find about five bags from the end of the roll. Write your house number on it and stick it on one of your full recycling bags. The recycling crew will leave you a new roll when they pick your bags up.
You can also download a copy of the sticker below. Print the sticker out, fill in your address and tape it to your recycling bags on collection day.
Get social for more information
At recycling banks across Leicester you can recycle the following items:
- Books, cardboard, paper
- Food tins & drink cans, foil
- Mixed glass bottles & jar
To locate your nearest recycling bank, please use the online bank locator on Recycle Now. Just enter your postcode to find out what you can recycle and where. To go to the website please follow the link below:
Contact the recycling and waste team
Contact us if you have a query regarding recycling and waste.
Send us a message
Write to us
If you need to send us a letter, please use the following address…
Leicester City Council,
91 Granby Street,