Find resources about waste and recycling including recycling rates and targets, educational visits we run for community groups and schools.
Recycling rate and targets
England has set a target to recycle and compost 50 per cent of household waste by 2020.
Each year we record how much waste we produce in Leicester and what happens to it:
- how much is recycled (recycling rate)
- how much is composted (composting rate)
- how much is recovered i.e. used as an alternative fuel to produce heat and power (recovery rate)
These rates show us how much waste we have diverted away from landfill.
- Leicester recycled and composted 43.05 per cent of its household waste in 2013/14
Leicester's household waste statistics from 2002-2014: Recycling, composting and diversion
|% Refuse Derived Fuel||0||0||8.71||10.64||7.23||8.63||12.38||0.03||5.76||27.64||27.36||30.21|
We work closely with residents, community groups and schools in Leicester to help people learn about waste and recycling. We are available to attend any local meetings that have a community focus, such as:
- Resident association meetings
- Community events / fêtes
- Community group meetings
Our contractor, Biffa Leicester, also offers educational talks in schools across the city.
Get in touch if you would like us to give a talk on recycling or provide an article for a community based publication.
Facts about waste
You can download an information sheet with facts about waste and recycling at the bottom of the page.
Elsewhere on the web
- Biffa Leicester
- Recycle Now
- Recycle Zone
- Love Food Hate Waste
- Leicestershire Waste Partnership
- Leicestershire County Council