Coronavirus service changes for licensing
We are working to minimise the impact of the coronavirus on our services. For that reason, we have introduced temporary changes to our licensing services.
Vehicle testing station update
Our vehicle testing station reopened on 27 July 2020 offering a reduced service. It fully reopened on 7 September.
The services that will be available are as follows:
- annual inspections of licensed vehicles before a licence is renewed, including any re-tests that may be required
- inspections of previously unlicensed vehicles, before a licence is issued
- mid-term inspections for LCC licensed vehicles
- inspections of vehicles licensed by Oadby and Wigston Borough Council
- public MOT tests.
- New driver applications are not currently being processed. It is not currently possible to complete all the necessary checks.
- New vehicle applications have restarted as the pre-licensing vehicle inspection can now be undertaken.
- Renewal applications will be prioritised and are to be submitted online with relevant documents attached. Please see below for more information.
- The temporary waiver of the requirement for a pre-licensing vehicle inspection ended on Sunday 9 August 2020.
- If we cannot produce licences, badges, plates or door signs as normal, we will send an email confirming the outcome. Where a licence has been granted, we will attach a PDF copy of the licence. In such cases licence holders must display their existing licence/badge/plate and keep the emailed letter with them in case of any query
- Licences, badges, plates and door signs will be issued as soon as possible and will be posted to the licence holder’s correspondence address.
Licensing (other than taxis)
- We are prioritising tasks to ensure taxis can continue to operate and to meet statutory deadlines for other areas of licensing
- Please apply online or by email, as we are unable to collect posted applications on a regular basis
- Payments can be taken by phone
- Hearings will be held online within the normal timescales if at all possible
- We will monitor premises closures under emergency legislation
- We aim to respond to issues that arise, without visits unless essential.
- The Business and Planning Act 2020 makes temporary provision for street cafes. More information is available on our temporary street cafe licence page.
- The 2020 Act also allows extended off sales of alcohol in certain circumstances. More information and an online form is available on our premises licence page.
Renewal of existing driver and vehicle licences during COVID-19
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we have limited access to essential IT systems used to process applications received. However, you will find all the information you need to renew your existing driver and vehicle licences below. All applications and supporting documents must be emailed to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are required to make a payment a member of staff will call you.
We are not taking phone calls so please email any enquiries to email@example.com and we will reply to you by email. Please be patient and do not email chasing progress as this takes us away from processing applications, which is the priority.
We would like to thank you for your patience during this difficult time, but be assured that we are still working hard to ensure that you receive your renewed licences as soon as they are processed.