Coronavirus service changes for licensing
We are working to minimise the impact of the coronavirus on our services. For that reason, we have introduced temporary changes to our licensing services.
The Vehicle Testing Station is providing services as normal but with additional attention to cleanliness and social distancing. Please follow the directions given to you by VTS staff.
- Applications and accompanying payments are now being made online. Images of supporting documents must also be submitted.
- When a licence is granted it will be sent as a pdf file to the applicant by email.
- Driver badges, vehicle licence plates and vehicle door signs will be posted to the applicant as soon as possible. In the meantime licence holders must display their existing badge / plate and keep the emailed licence with them in case of any query.
It is important that you apply to renew your licence well before your existing licence is due to expire. You can apply to renew your hackney carriage/private hire driver licence using the quick link ‘Apply to renew hackney carriage/private hire driver licence’ at the top of this page.
You will need to sign up for an account which will save your personal details for any future applications, as well as enabling you to access other online council services.
You will need to upload images of your DVLA driving licence (both sides) and details of the DVLA Check Code that you have received from the DVLA.
If you need a medical the form must be completed by the applicant’s registered GP or a doctor within that surgery. If this is not possible you must contact the licensing authority for advice.
If your licence expires on or after 4 April 2022 you will be required to provide us with a code that will enable us to check with HMRC that you are registered for tax purposes – more information can be found at New rules on tax checks.
After submitting your application to us
Once we have received your application you will receive an automated email telling you that we will check your application. We will then send you a further email confirming how long you can have a licence for and what other checks need to be carried out, for example, DBS Check/Medical/Diabetic report. The second email will contain a link to make the correct payment and allow you to upload any other documents that we need from you.
Davis licence check have now been appointed to undertake the DVLA checks on our behalf. You will receive a separate email from this company asking you to complete a mandate form which will allow us to access your DVLA record directly. This email will come to you after you have applied to renew your licence. The mandate will be valid for three years and means that we will not require you to obtain a code yourself from the DVLA for any further checks during this three year period.
Where a DBS check is required the original identification documents will also need to be seen. An appointment will be made for you to attend the Customer Service Centre on Granby Street to bring these in.
If you need to transfer the licence to somebody else or to change your vehicle please email: email@example.com for more advice.
- The quickest way to apply and pay is by using our online forms. You can find links to these on the relevant pages of our website, starting from Licences and permits (leicester.gov.uk)
- For application processes that are not available online, please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact you by phone to take the application fee
- If you are unable to apply online or by email you may post your application to us, but please note that our post collections are irregular and therefore this will delay your application being processed.
- The Business and Planning Act 2020 makes temporary provision for street cafes. More information is available on our temporary street café licence page.
- The 2020 Act also allows extended off sales of alcohol in certain circumstances. More information and an online form is available on our premises licence page.
Frequently asked questions
We will do our best to process your application promptly and we will be in touch with you as soon as we can to either ask for more information or to send you your licence. However, if you haven’t heard from us at all within 10 working days please email us at email@example.com.
Driver badges are produced in batches and will be posted as soon as possible after the licence has been granted. If you have not received your badge within 7 days of receiving your licence by email please contact firstname.lastname@example.org In the meantime please make sure you have the licence we emailed with you whenever you are working and continue to display your previous badge.
Vehicle licence plates and door signs are produced by our supplier in batches and posted directly to the licence holder. If you have not received your plate / door signs within 7 days of receiving your licence by email please contact email@example.com In the meantime please make sure you have the licence we emailed with you whenever you are working and continue to display your previous plate.
The best way to contact us is by sending an email at any time to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond as soon as we can. Our phone lines are open Monday to Thursday, 10am to 2pm and Friday, 10am to 12pm.