Skip to content

Sent us an application or email?

If you have have received an automatic acknowledgment after submitting an application or email, please do not try and call us – we will respond to you as soon as we can.

Trade and industry licences

Certain business require a licence to operate in Leicester. Find out what you need and how to apply.

Distribution of free printed material

You need consent to distribute free printed matter in certain parts of Leicester. Anyone who distributes free printed matter in a controlled area without consent, or causes another person to do so, will be guilty of an offence. Find out more on the following link:

Skips, scaffolding and hoardings

All skips, scaffolding and hoardings on the highway, and certain deposits on the highway, must be licensed.

Find guidance notes and information on how to apply using the link below:

Petrol stations

We are responsible for licensing petrol filling stations and other premises selling and storing petroleum spirit. We inspect these premises to make sure health and safety requirements are being met.

If you require further information please email

Fire safety licensing/fire certificates

For fire certificates for factories, hotels/boarding houses, offices and shops please contact Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service.

Traffic surveys

All private companies that wish to undertake traffic counts or traffic survey work in the city will require a temporary traffic survey licence. Leicestershire County Council administer the issuing of these permits on behalf of Leicester City Council.

Find guidance notes and an online application form using the link below: