Wheelchair accessible vehicles
All of the vehicles that we license as hackney carriages are wheelchair accessible, and some of our licensed private hire vehicles are wheelchair accessible.
The driver of a vehicle on the published list has certain legal duties under the Equality Act 2010. These are:
- to carry the passenger while in the wheelchair;
- not to make any additional charge for doing so;
- if the passenger chooses to sit in a passenger seat, to carry the wheelchair;
- to take such steps as are necessary to ensure that the passenger is carried in safety and reasonable comfort;
- to give the passenger such mobility assistance as is reasonably required.
However, any named driver may apply for a medical exemption if there is a genuine medical reason that prevents them from assisting wheelchair passengers. Drivers must make a formal application to the Licensing section for an exemption, which will need to be verified by a medical practitioner.