Apply for a new temporary street cafe licence
You can apply for a new temporary street cafe licence or reapply if there are changes you would like to make to your current licence. For example change opening hours, add furniture including additional parasols etc.
Ensure you have read through the guidance on this page and our licence conditions to ensure your proposed application meets the requirements.
There are local conditions and requirements to be met prior to any determination of a temporary licence.
- There must be a minimum width of two metres of footway remaining for pedestrians after your proposed street café ends.
- You must hold public liability insurance for a minimum of £5 million.
- You need to provide clear diagrams showing your proposal, taking into consideration social distancing measures. See example diagram (PDF).
- You must provide pictures/designs of the proposed street furniture (tables, chairs, parasols, barriers etc.)
- Check if there are there any pop-up cycling/walking lanes or highway street schemes that would prevent you
- Consider the times and days you are applying for.
- Follow all instructions and guidance from us to ensure an efficient application process.
Any granted (12 month) licence may be amended from the proposed numbers and times on application.
Is there a fee?
The fee is £100.
How do I apply?
Please do ensure all required supporting documents are provided. Failure to do so may result in the application being rejected.
Your application, will be consulted with the following: Leicestershire Police, Leicester City Council; highways, traffic, noise pollution and planning teams as well as local ward councillors.
How will I know the outcome of my application?
You will be notified by email if your application is successful.
Can I appeal if my application is rejected?
If an application is refused, there is no statutory appeal against the decision.
- Guidance on pavement licences and outdoor seating - GOV.UK
- Business and Planning Act 2020 - GOV.UK
- View submitted applications for temporary street cafe licences