Post-adoption support FAQs

Find answers to common queries that adoptive parents, birth parents and relatives may have about post-adoption support.

Further information

Adoptive parent queries

Can my child access his/her birth records?

Adopted adults and children over 18 can access this service. If your child wants access to their birth records and is under 18 and over 15, you’ll need to ask for a post adoption assessment of need.

Please be aware that we (Leicester City Council) do not provide intermediary services if you are trying to trace birth relatives. We can however signpost you to appropriate outside agencies.

Do we have to keep birth parents informed of a child’s progress?

Once an Adoption Order has been made, birth parents have no legal rights over the child. However, arrangements are made for birth parents to have news of their child via our Post Box Service. This is a formal agreement between the birth family and adoptive family, to exchange information about the child. Adoptive parents are asked to write to birth parents each year. Exchange of information is beneficial to all parties.

As part of this service we offer:

  • Advice and guidance around writing letters
  • Advice with general queries relating to post box and contact issues
  • Support to birth parents when they receive communication from adopters

Post Box is now a phone and postal service.

You can call, text, e-mail for support or make an appointment to meet at the Customer Services Centre on Granby Street in Leicester, using the following contact details:

  • Ring us on: 0116 454 4540
  • Text: 07967 347 043
  • E-mail:
  • Write to us at: Post Box Enquiries, Fostering & Adoption, Halford House, 91 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1HL. 

Will the child still see their birth parents/relatives after adoption?

There may be some direct (face to face) contact arrangements between some children and their birth relatives. More and more children are benefiting from continuing to have direct contact with some members of their birth family. It will depend on the child, but this could be a birth parent, foster carer who has looked after them for a long time, brothers or sisters, grandparents or other relatives. Our team offers support and facilitation of this.

Do you offer support to relatives once a child is adopted?

If you are related to an individual who is adopted, and you have a query then please do give us a call using the number at the bottom of this page. We will be happy to help if we can.

Birth parents and relative queries

I am the birth parent, what support can I get?

As part of the adoption process we will provide up to six sessions of face to face support to birth parents whose children have been removed and placed for adoption by the local authority.

You can get in touch with us using the contact details below.

Contact us

Write to us: Social Care and Early Help, Halford House, 91 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1HL
Ring us on: 0116 454 4540 - Social worker available 10am to 2pm Monday to Friday.
Send us a message