Support for special guardians
A special guardianship order is a formal arrangement where the court appoints parental responsibility for a child to someone other than the parent. This could be a grandparent, close relative or a family friend. This child will then live with their special guardian until they are 18 years old. After a special guardianship order has been granted by the court, we can give you extra support.
How we can help
To receive Post Special Guardian Support services, the child or young person must be a previously looked after child by the local authority, prior to the special guardianship order being granted by the court.
Our Children and Families Support Team (CFST), is also responsible for post adoption support and therapeutic support for looked after children and their carers.
Our service is bespoke to you and your family's needs, please contact us using the details below if you need any support.
We also provide:
- A quarterly magazine
- Information about training and events
- Reminders about the support on offer to you
Thursday support sessions
Every Thursday we hold sessions where we can guide you to get additional support and answer queries you may have.
At the sessions, you will have the opportunity to complete a self-referral as well as a professional referral to our post special guardianship order support. You can also get advice on finance and means tested assessments.
The way that the SGO support plan and financial assessments are carried out has changed from 1 March 2021, previous assessments will not be affected. Once you have applied to be a special guardian, you are entitled to a financial means tested assessment that will assist you in the cost of caring for your family. Every year, you will need to complete a means tested assessment, which explores your income in order for you to receive the appropriate level of financial support.
To book on to a session, please use the contact details below to get in touch:
- Email: Post-SGO-Support@leicester.gov.uk
- Ring us: 0116 454 6540
- 10am – 2pm
- 5pm – 7pm
You can book on to a session by ringing us with a suitable time to be contacted. You will then receive an email inviting you to a Teams meeting.
Special Guardians Community Support Group on Facebook
If you would you like to meet others in Leicester who have children and young people on an SGO, you can join an independently run Facebook support group by using the following link:
- Benefits and support (leicester.gov.uk)
- The Family Information website contains information, advice and guidance aimed at helping parents, carers, young people and professionals with many aspects of family life.
- Youth services (leicester.gov.uk)
- Leicester Employment Hub - careers service for young people who live in Leicester City and are aged 16 to 19, or up to 25 for young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).
- The Children's Society - Our services for young people are across the country where we have professionals ready to listen to how you're feeling. After talking things through and getting some advice, you'll be in a better place to make the changes you want to see. As well as working directly with young people, we develop resources and deliver training to other professionals/carers who work/look after children.
- The Prince's Trust - The Prince's Trust is a charity in the United Kingdom founded in 1976 by Charles, Prince of Wales, to help vulnerable young people get their lives on track. It supports 11 to 30-year-olds who are unemployed and those struggling at school and at risk of exclusion.
- Voluntary Action LeicesterShire (VAL) - Voluntary Action Leicestershire (VAL) is a charity that helps people in local communities to change their lives for the better, through direct service delivery and by supporting the local voluntary and community sector.
- The Race Equality Centre - The Race Equality Centre provides assistance to those that are complaining about racial harassment or discrimination in either employment or the provision of goods, facilities or services.
- Beacon House - Beacon House is a specialist, innovative and creative therapeutic service for young people, families and adults. With a special interest in working with individuals of all ages who have experienced trauma and loss.
- Zinthiya Trust - The vision of the charity is to create a society where people can be free from abuse and poverty; Supporting people to live without the fear of violence and abuse; provide practical support to reduce poverty & isolation among vulnerable people. To help people transform their lives through education, skills development, and employment as well as support people to achieve their aspirations and lead fulfilling lives. Check out the website for specific support and projects.
- Live Well Leicester - At Live Well Leicester we are fully committed to supporting out local communities in Leicester to become, happier, healthier and fitter by offering access to a wide range of support services.
- Young Minds - We’re the UK’s leading charity fighting for children and young people's mental health. We want to see a world where no young person feels alone with their mental health, and all young people get the mental health support they need, when they need it, no matter what.
- Citizens Advice - Citizens Advice is an independent organisation specialising in confidential information and advice to assist people with legal, debt, consumer, housing and other problems in the United Kingdom.
- Leicester City Football Club - We are working in partnership with local and national partners – Amnesty International UK, Leicester City of Sanctuary, After18 and others to create more welcoming communities for refugees and people seeking asylum in Leicester. Leicester City in the Community have successfully collaborated to deliver football and other physical activity sessions, which has had a positive impact on people’s overall health and wellbeing.
- Leicester LGBT Centre - Leicester LGBT Centre exists to provide a safe social and support space, deliver high quality professional services that are responsive to the needs of the local community and challenge the inequality created by society. We provide information in a range of formats on a wide range of subjects that affect LGBT people’s lives including signposting and referrals to other agencies.
- Relate, the relationship people - Relate is a charity providing relationship support throughout the United Kingdom. Services include counselling for couples, families, young people and individuals, sex therapy, mediation and training courses.
- CHOICES Clinics, Leicester Sexual Health - A free, confidential and friendly service for young people aged 24 and under. The CHOICES team consists of dedicated professionals with a passion for supporting young people through their sexual health journey.
Write to us: Children and Family Support Team, Halford House, 91 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 1HL
Ring us on: 0116 454 6540 (ask for POST-SGO support)