Skip to content
In this section

Financial support from adult social care

The amount of money the government gives us to provide support in Leicester is reducing every year. As it's important that we spend what we do have carefully, you'll only receive financial support following an assessment.

Can I get financial support to live independently at home?

You could receive financial support for care that is provided in your own home or from your own home, for example home care and mobile meals. You will need to have an assessment to find out if you are eligible for our support. If you are eligible, we will work with you to establish what needs you have, and how much it would cost to provide them.

We will calculate a personal budget that can be spent on the services you require. We can arrange these services for you, and if you allow us to do this, the money will not be paid directly to you.

However, if you want to arrange your care and support yourself you can opt to receive your money as a direct payment. For further information on direct payments see our section below:

Some people self-fund their care, they don't want to have an assessment, or have too great an income or too much capital.

Can I get financial support if I need to move into residential care?

If you cannot live independently we can arrange a place for you in a residential or nursing home. Nearly everyone who goes to a live in a home has to pay something towards the cost of their care.

Deferred payment

We operate a deferred payment scheme to prevent people from having to sell their home during their lifetime in order to pay for their residential care.

What is a deferred payment agreement?

A deferred payment agreement is an arrangement with us that will enable some people to use the value of their homes to fund residential care home costs. If you are eligible, we will pay your residential care home bills on your behalf. You will need to pay a contribution based on your income while you are on the scheme but you can delay repaying other charges to us until you choose to sell your home, or until after your death.

How much will it cost?

Deferred payment agreements will suit some people's circumstances better than others. You will be charged interest on the amount you owe, and there will also be a fee for setting this arrangement up.

A deferred payment agreement is only one way to pay for care. To find out more about the options available, you can speak to a financial adviser or seek advice from an independent organisation such as the Money Advice Service.

Who is eligible?

The scheme isn't open to everyone. To be entitled to join the Deferred Payments Scheme you must:

  • be in permanent residential or nursing care
  • own all or part of your home and;
  • have eligible needs for local authority assistance.

In addition, the value of all your other assets (for example, bank account, ISAs, and shares) must be less than or equal to £23,250. If the value of your home is not included in your financial assessment (for example, if your spouse is still living in your home) then you are not entitled to join the Deferred Payment Scheme.

Will I have to pay anything while on the scheme?

Depending on your income and assets you own, you may only be able to defer paying part of the cost of your residential or nursing care. You may still have to make a contribution based upon your income and other capital you own.

The difference between your contribution and the full cost of the care home will be deferred. The amount you have to contribute will be based on a financial assessment of your income and other assets, including benefits and private pensions.

You may choose to keep up to £144 per week of this income and any remainder will be your contribution. You may choose to keep less than £144 per week which will mean you are deferring less and paying less interest.

When do I have to repay?

All amounts that are deferred must be repaid at a later date. A legal charge will be secured against your property giving us the right to reclaim the loan against the proceeds of sale. The deferred payment agreement will end on sale of the property or upon your death. the total amount deferred becomes payable at this point.

You can repay the money due from the sale of the property or from other capital. If the balance cannot be paid straight away then it will continue to accrue interest until it is repaid. this will be at a higher rate of interest than during the life of the deferred payment agreement.

For further details please read the guidance and policy documents below.