Children and young people justice service
Leicester’s children and young people justice service works with young people aged 10 to 17 years. The service aims to prevent and reduce children and young people reoffending and works towards promoting safer communities.
We are a multi-agency partnership which includes the local authority, police, the probation service and NHS partners, all of whom jointly resource a multi-disciplinary team.
Our service aims to:
- Prevent offending
- Reduce reoffending
- Increase victim and public confidence
- Ensure the safe and effective use of custody
- Increase the number of children and young people known to YOS in suitable accommodation at the end of their order
- Increase the number of children and young people known to YOS in education, training and or employment
The service coordinates and delivers:
- Appropriate adult services
- Bail and remand provision
- Preventative, pre-court and post court provision of youth justice services in Leicester
Volunteer with the youth offender panel
Volunteer with us and help make a difference to the lives of children, young people, their families and victims of crime. To become a volunteer, you need to be over 18 and be able to spare a few hours a month of your time. Contact us to find out more about the types of support you could offer.
We are a multi-agency citywide team made up of qualified staff from a range of disciplines: YOS officers, YOS advocates, probation officers, police officers, education, substance misuse and mental health professionals.
Leicester YOS includes a prevention offer working with a range of voluntary and community projects and services such as the youth service and family support service within the council's early help and prevention service. There is a restorative justice team (reparation and victims workers), volunteers and mentors and specialist areas of work to support young people in police custody, groupwork and participation coordination, community engagement and antisocial behaviour work.
How to get in touch
For more information about the youth offending service, please call 0116 454 4600