Children and young people's justice service
We work with young people aged 10 to 17 years. We offer support for those at risk of becoming involved in offending or anti-social behaviour to divert them away from the criminal justice system. We want to ensure young people are given the right support to make positive decisions for their futures.
Our service aims to:
- prevent offending
- reduce re-offending
- engage in education, training or employment
- develop positive relationships
- provide support for drug and alcohol use
- help manage emotions
- engage individuals in positive activities
- increase victim and public confidence
- ensure the safe and effective use of custody
- increase the number of children and young people known to Youth Justice in suitable accommodation at the end of their order
The service coordinates and delivers:
- appropriate adult services
- bail and remand provision
- preventative, pre-court and post court provision of youth justice services in Leicester
Volunteer with the youth offender panel
Volunteer with us and help make a difference to the lives of children, young people, their families and victims of crime. To become a volunteer, you need to be over 18 and be able to spare a few hours a month of your time. Contact us using the details at the bottom of this page, to find out about the types of support you could offer.
We are a multi-agency citywide team made up of qualified staff from a range of disciplines: Youth Justice officers, Youth Justice advocates, probation officers, police officers, education, substance misuse and mental health professionals.
Our team includes a prevention officer working with a range of voluntary and community projects and services, such as the youth service and family support service. There is a restorative justice team (reparation and victims workers), volunteers and mentors and specialist areas of work to support young people in police custody, groupwork and participation coordination, community engagement and anti-social behaviour work.
2019 inspection report
Following an inspection from Her Majesty's Inspectorates of Prisons (HMIP) in August 2019, we are delighted to have received an overall grading of 'good' for our Children and Young People’s Justice Service (CYPJS). You can view the full inspection report at justiceinspectorates.gov.uk.
Recommendations from the inspection have been incorporated into the service delivery plan and the Youth Justice Management Board partnership plan.
- Early help offer
- Leicestershire police
- Youth justice board
- Youth services
- Families affected by imprisonment
How to get in touch
For more information contact us by:
Ringing: 0116 454 4600
Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org