Skip to content

Your social care record

You have a right to see personal information about your social care record held by us and it is our responsibility to keep it confidential.

What information do we keep?

When contact is made with us we record basic information such as:

  • basic details such as name, address and date of birth
  • information about your health, and situation at home
  • names and contact details of your close relatives/carers
  • notes/letters about the support we provide for you
  • other information that organisations such as health/care services tell us about your situation

Our records include information on staff or agencies involved in providing services and may include details of individuals who come into contact with vulnerable children and young people.

How we use and store your information

Information is recorded on paper and/or held on computers. It is essential in helping to manage, plan, provide and improve services. In some cases it is a legal requirement subject to certain legal restrictions.

We are required to collect information on children and young people who are in need of care services or who are looked after by the local authority. All information we record and hold is processed securely and in accordance with the Data Protection Act.

Can you see the records we hold about you?

You have the right to apply to see records that we hold about you, if you make a written request. Your access to your information may be limited by legal restrictions.

Can anyone else see my records?

You also have the right to arrange for someone else to see your records on your behalf, if you give permission for this in writing. This can include:

  • Family members
  • Child Support Agency, Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) or Inland Revenue
  • Council Tax Officers
  • The Police

How to access your social care record

If you want to make a request for information, you should do this in writing using the form found at the top of this page.

Complaints and Access to Records Team
Leicester City Council
Town Hall
Town Hall Square

We will respond within a statutory maximum limit of 30 calendar days of receiving your full request, either with the information required, or with an explanation of any delays or refusal to supply the requested information.

Why might my request for information be rejected?

We will provide the information requested if we have it, unless there is good reason for not doing so, for example where disclosure to you is not allowed under the law.

Are there any charges?

There is no fee for a first request but there may be an admin charge for a copy of files previously disclosed. We will also require proof of ID which we will discuss with you once we have received your request.