Our Best Book
Each year we run the Our Best Book competition for year five and six children, in schools across the city.
A long list of about 20 titles are discussed, debated and voted on by pupils in participating Leicester schools, to produce a short list of five great books.
The top five books are read and voted on by the children involved, and the winner announced.
The winning book is announced at an awards ceremony in June, and children from the schools involved are invited to come along, celebrate and meet some of the authors. The participating schools each receive the long list and multiple copies of the short list books.
We fund the award through participating schools and are supported by 'Whatever It Takes' and Library Services to Education.
Our Best Book shortlist 2017
- Evil Emperor Penguin - Laura Ellen Anderson
- Electrigirl - Jo Cotterill and Cathy Brett
- The Ghost Prison - Joseph Delaney
- Dave Pigeon - Swapna Haddow and Sheena Dempsey
- The Accidental Secret Agent - Tom Mclaughlin
Our Best Book longlist 2018
- Knitbone Pepper Ghost Dog: Best Friends Forever – Claire Barker
- Ninja – Steve Barlow & Steve Skidmore
- Aidan Abet : teacher's pet – Guy Bass
- Aubrey and the terrible yoot – Horatio Clare
- Superdad's day off – Phil Earle
- Beaky Malone : world's greatest liar – Barry Hutchison
- Jake Atlas and the tomb of the emerald snake – Rob Lloyd Jones
- The everything machine – Ally Kennen
- The legend of Podkin One-Ear – Kieran Larwood & David Wyatt (illustrator)
- They didn't teach THIS in worm school! – Simone Lia
- Perijee & me – Ross Montgomery
- Radio boy – Christian O’Connell & Rob Biddulph (illustrator)
- The silver boy – Kristina Ohlsson (Marlain Delargy translation)
- Killing ground – Tom Palmer
- Dog Man – Dav Pilkey
- Flesh and blood – Chris Priestley
- Tales from India – Bali Rai
- King Flashypants and the evil emperor – Andy Riley
- Thunderstruck – Ali Sparkes
- Hilo: The boy who crashed to Earth – Judd Winick
All of the long listed books are available to borrow. You can pop in and pick one up at your local library or:
Our Best Book 2018
Our Best Book 2017 Winner
Congratulations to Joseph Delaney for his book, The Ghost Prison.
Follow Libraries on social media for regular updates about all our projects, services and the latest bestsellers