In this section
Share this page

ESOL - English for Speakers of Other Languages

Our English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) courses will help you improve your speaking, listening and writing in English.

Further information

We have courses for all levels from beginners to advanced.

How we can help

Our ESOL courses will help you to:

  • improve your speaking and listening
  • develop your reading and writing in English
  • prepare for work in the future
  • learn about life in the UK.

Course information

We have ESOL courses for all levels from beginners to advanced. We offer morning, afternoon and evening classes in a community setting near you. Our classes are fun, lively and multicultural. All our classes are taught by highly experienced and well qualified teachers.

How to enrol

Before you join our ESOL classes, you need to come and talk to one of our teachers at one of our assessment sessions. The teacher will talk to you and ask you to do some reading and writing to find out your level and give you advice about the best class for you. Use the quick link 'How to enrol' at the top of the page to enquire.

What you'll need to bring for the assessment

On the day of the assessment please bring the following:

  • passport and ID card
  • ESOL classes are not automatically free, but many learners are eligible for free courses or reduced fees. Please bring any proof of benefits and/or method of payment with you on the day of your assessment. In some cases, we can arrange for you to pay the fees in instalments.

At the assessment you will be told which level you need to study and agree a timetable.


If you are on a course that is higher than the start-up course, you can take ESOL exams at your level. Our ESOL qualifications are accredited by Trinity College. For more information visit Trinity College's website.

You can take three exams:

  • speaking and listening
  • reading
  • writing.


If you would like to apply for indefinite leave to remain or apply for British Citizenship, you must:

  1. Pass the Life in the UK test - we have a course that can help you prepare for the Life in the UK test. Read more about the Life in the UK test on GOV.UK website.
  2. Have a certificate in English at B1 or above - ESOL classes help people reach this level. We have a course that can help you prefer for the B1 exam. The government only accepts English test certificates from two exams: