Money for learners

If you need money to assist with the costs of your learning, there may be help available.

Further information

Can I get a 16-19 bursary?

You may receive £1,200 a year to help with the costs of education or training after Year 11 if you:

  • Are in care or leaving care
  • Are receiving income support or universal credit
  • Have a disability and receive both employment and support allowance and either disability living allowance or personal independence payment

If none of the above apply to you you should contact the school, college or training provider you're planning on attending to ask if there is any other money available.

How do I apply?

You need to apply directly to the school, college or training provider you are going to be attending. Ask student services or your tutor for more information on how to apply.

College and sixth form travel

You may be able to get a bus pass to cut the cost of travel.

If you live more than three miles from where you study you may be able to get a  local authority pass. You should also find out about passes from bus companies like ArrivaFirst Leicester and Centrebus and any help offered by the college you are applying to.

Fees and costs

If you are 19 or under you won’t usually have to pay fees to go to college or sixth form full-time (unless you go to an independent school or private college). There may be some charges for things like equipment, visits and books.

Care to Learn

If you're aged under 20 and a young parent, Care to Learn can give you money to cover the cost of your childcare while you learn. 

Child benefit and tax credits

Whilst you are in full-time education (except higher education) your parents may be able to claim child benefit and child tax credits for you until you turn 20.

Professional and career development loans

If you are unable to claim other kinds of financial support and you are over 18 you may be able to get one of these loans. For more information check out the GOV.UK section on Professional and career development loans.

If you are 19 or over

If you start a course when you are 19 or over, advice on where to get financial help is available on the Further education courses and funding section of the GOV.UK website.