Usually abandoned vehicles are vehicles that have been in the same location without being driven for some time. Often, they don't have valid road tax.
However, if a vehicle is untaxed this does not necessarily mean that the vehicle is abandoned; sometimes vehicles will be driven without valid road tax. We have a team of authorised abandoned vehicle officers who will inspect all vehicles that are reported. Authorised officers will follow these characteristics as set by central government when inspecting possible abandoned vehicles:
- Untaxed, with;
- No current vehicle keeper on the driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency’s (DVLA) record
- Stationary for a significant amount of time
- Significantly damaged, run down, unroadworthy, flat tyres, wheels removed or broken windows.
- Burned out
- Lacking one or more of its number plates
- Containing waste
Further information regarding abandoned vehicles can be found by visiting GOV.UK.
How do I report an abandoned vehicle?
If you suspect a vehicle to be abandoned in Leicester, please report it online using Love Clean Streets, with the following details:
- Vehicle Registration Number
- Make, model and colour
- Location – please be as precise as you can giving the road name and nearest house number if available
- How long the vehicle has been at the location
- General condition of vehicle
- Your name and contact details – all personal information is held in the strictest confidence.