Apply for a community transport scheme membership
The community transport scheme allows certain groups to use their purpose-built accessible minibuses for self-drive use.
What is the criteria to hire a minibus?
Membership to the scheme is dependent on the group meeting certain criteria, these are:
- Older people – particularly older people who are frail, housebound
- Younger people with physical and/or sensory and/or visual disabilities
- People with learning disabilities
- Children who have a disability
- Based within the Leicester City area
- Are a non-profit making organisation/registered charity
Having met the above criteria, the scheme will give absolute priority to community organisations / groups who provide services which clearly and directly benefit one or more of the priority groups.
Once accepted for membership to the scheme, we will inform you in writing and ask for the yearly fee.
The group should have 1 driver or more as there are no drivers for the scheme.
What is the membership fee?
Membership to the scheme costs £12 per year (April to March or part thereof).
We have four welfare vehicles available that seat up to 16 passengers
Additional features include:
- passenger lift access to the rear,
- can be adapted to carry wheelchair users in their chairs (subject to training and wheelchair suitability). Please give two working-days’ notice in advance for minibus to be configured for wheelchair user(s).
How to apply
To apply for membership to the Community Transport Scheme, your group should apply in writing to:
- Leicester City Council, Community Transport Scheme, 37/39 Sulgrave Road, Leicester, LE5 0LH.
You need to enclose a copy of the group’s constitution, along with a covering letter outlining your groups aim and objectives for the use of the minibus, and a description of the database of users, with regard to their ages and disabilities.
We will look at each application and decide whether to grant membership individually.
Minibus driving assessment
Due to the size and type of the vehicles, it is council policy for your driver to undertake a minibus driving assessment (subject to production of suitable licence being shown), these are charged at the rate shown below and are valid for four years.
Driving Assessments are £33 per driver and are undertaken at Sulgrave Road.
Driver(s) should bring with them cash or cheque for the amount, their driving licence, DVLA check code from GOV.UK website and a passport size photo for the ID card. The assessment lasts approximately 1 hour.