Booking a community transport vehicle
Information on how to book a community transport vehicle, new driver details and breakdown procedures.
Opening and hire times
|Days||Times||Rate per day|
|Monday to Friday||8am - 5pm||£20|
Weekends and bank holidays
Vehicles can be booked for weekends and bank holidays but must be agreed in advance. A charge of £20 per day will apply.
- Collection: Friday, 5pm
- Return: Monday, 8am
How do I book a vehicle?
- Ring: 0116 454 0902 (Option 1 then Option 4) between 10am - 12noon and 1pm - 3pm, Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays.
- In person: Passenger and Transport Service, Leicester City Council, 37-39 Sulgrave Road, Leicester LE5 0LH
- Please keep the information about driver’s Leicester City Council assessment licence (Yellow card) handy while booking.
- Driver details must be given on booking for their details to be checked on the licence database, along with any penalty points.
No, vehicles cannot be booked if membership fees are not paid.
All vehicles are to be used for the purpose intended i.e. passenger transport and carriage of light luggage appropriate to those travelling.
Vehicles are not intended for goods transport.
Evidence of this occurring may lead to suspension or dismissal from the scheme.
Cash/cheque payments must be made on collection of the vehicle.
Bookings can be made up to one calendar month in advance – on a strictly first-come-first-served basis.
We cannot guarantee same day bookings. Hence, we recommend booking in advance.
Bookings for any additional vehicle (maximum 2 vehicles per group) can be made up to one week in advance, provided a vehicle is available.
Cancellations/amendments made prior to 48hrs notice will not be charged.
However, fees can be applied if cancellation occurs within 24hrs or a no-show is recorded.
- Amendments to booking/drivers’ license details require two working days’ notice in order to process such changes.
Only the driver/s designated, can collect, drive and return the vehicle, showing their Leicester City Council assessment licence (yellow card) and full drivers’ licence on both occasions. This is to ensure clarity and conformity of hire.
Drivers must produce their individual photo card/paper licence together with a check code in order for their licence to be checked on line using the DVLA website; Select 'Get Check Code' option.
This code will be used to view licence details by LCC counter staff at time of vehicle collection. This procedure to be followed for each subsequent week of new vehicle “hires” When booking vehicles please state wheelchair capacity and seating capacity required.
(The layout of our vehicle will be at our discretion.)
Early collections (previous night to hire day) will require a disclaimer being signed to prevent unauthorised travel in the evening but allowing travel to a safe overnight parking place.
Yes, all our Community Hire Vehicles are fitted with a tracking device.
Vehicles must be returned in a clean and sanitised condition, as when it was collected and ready to be hired out again. Should the vehicle not meet acceptable cleanliness standards following inspection, cleaning equipment and sanitising materials are available for use prior to handover return. Please allow approx. 30 mins for this.
If the vehicle is not returned in a clean/sanitised condition then you will incur a £62.50 charge.
Cash/cheque payments must be made on collection of the vehicle.
Any damage caused during the hire period (regardless to who was to blame) must be admitted on return and an appropriate motor vehicle claim form completed prior to the driver leaving the premises.
Our insurance policy has £1500.00 excess in place, of which at least £750.00* will be passed on to any community group*.
Yes, late returns will be charged at £20* + daily rate, it is advisable to ring 0116 454 0903, if you are not going to be able to return vehicle in time.
Yes, it must be returned with a full tank of fuel or an agreed fuel level. Failure to do this will mean the group will incur a charge for fuel plus 25% (of fuel cost) administration charge*.
Yes, a logbook must be completed prior to handing over the vehicle. Failure to do this, the group will incur a £25 charge*. The logbook must be handed over to a supervisor and signed for by the designated driver.
All drivers who drive our vehicles must have a minibus test by Passenger and Transport Services every 4 years which costs £33 per test.
Any group using a tail lift and transporting clamp able wheelchairs will need training by Passenger and Transport Services before using the lift; there will be a £18* charge for this.
The hirer (you) will pay all fines and court costs for parking, traffic or any other offences (including any costs which arise if the vehicle is clamped). You must pay the appropriate authority any fines and costs if and when the authority demands this payment. If you do not, you will be liable to pay our reasonable administration charges which arise when we deal with these matters.
- Any drivers found driving the vehicles without the appropriate licences/assessments required will be charged £50* and risk possible expulsion from the scheme.
If you are taking the bus to London, please check that vehicles are suitable for Low Emission and Ultra Low Emission Zones and pay the relevant charges from 8 April 2019 onwards Also arrange to pay any relevant congestion charges.
It is the community groups responsibility to check if other cities have introduced Congestion/Emission Zone Charges and pay all charges incurred.
Yes, a high-visibility garment should be worn always, whilst operating the vehicle.
- Drivers must have held licence for minimum 3 years and be over 21 years of age with a maximum of 6 points (any additional points gained must be declared). All licences must have category D1 entitlement shown, due to the size of the minibuses. (This entitlement is only on licences passed Prior to January 1997) unless a PCV Test has been undertaken to gain this category.
- The minibuses are operated under section 19 small minibus permit, and the organisation should ensure their drivers meet with these regulations. The vehicles in the community Transport Fleet each have a gross weight (MAM) of 5250kg. A copy of this document and a flowchart to identify who is eligible to drive them is available on request. Vehicles are not to be used for Hire & Reward purposes
- All risk assessments for your journeys are the responsibility of the hiring group.
In the event of a breakdown during office hours (Monday to Friday, 7am - 5.30pm):
- Ring: 0116 454 0903 stating the pool number, nature of the breakdown, location, mobile phone number and the quantity of passengers and any that are in wheelchairs.
In the event of a breakdown outside of office hours, telephone 24/7 Unity Recovery Services:
- 0116 274470 stating the pool number, nature of the breakdown, location, mobile phone number and the quantity of passengers and any that are in wheelchairs.
Puncture outside of office hours
If you experience a puncture outside of office hours contact Lodge Tyres on:
- 0116 2512228 / 2550205 quoting account number LO47 for Leicester City Council, and let them know your location, pool number and registration number, contact details, tyre size and position on the vehicle and whether there is a spare on board.
In the unlikely event that you are unable to contact Unity Recovery Services if you break down outside office hours, please contact RAC Recovery on:
- 0800 591111 quoting account number RAC 80503 and account name Leicester City Council Passenger Transport
Leicester City Council will be responsible for the recovery of the vehicle and the driver only. In the event of a breakdown/accident, any additional passengers are the responsibility of the group to forward them to their destination, and this should be considered when doing any risk assessments for your journeys.