Advice and guidance
Major changes to the benefits system made from 2013 may affect the amount of money you receive. Find out about these changes, and how they may affect you.
What benefits can I claim?
For those who need help with housing costs or council tax. You can claim:
- Housing benefits - to help you pay towards your rent if you are on a low income
- Council tax support (CTS) - you may be able to claim council tax support if you receive a council tax bill, and are on a low income or claiming benefits
- Universal Credit - intended to assist those who receive a low income or who are not in employment.
Additional schemes to help city residents with their housing costs or council tax:
- Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) - assistance with your housing costs
- Council Tax Discretionary Relief (CTDR) - if you cannot afford to pay all of your council tax bill
- Community support grants - support for vulnerable people who are experiencing financial difficulties.
Help with travel costs
We also offer some travel assistance for those register unemployed. Travel aid is a concessionary travel pass available for Leicester residents who are registered unemployed, to help them seek work. Find out about concessionary travel for unemployed people.
Where can I go for help and advice?
There is a wide range of different advice services available to Leicester and Leicestershire residents. Our advice booklet which is attached below, outlines each service and explains how you can get in touch.
Citizens Advice LeicesterShire
If you would like help or advice about benefits, you can contact Citizens Advice LeicesterShire (CAL). The support available is free, independent and confidential, and covers a range of topics, including budgeting, debt, housing and employment as well as welfare benefits. CAL operates a telephone advice and appointment only service only.
The service is a quick and simple tool that can help with common issues - Citizens Advice LeicesterShire website. To make an appointment contact CAL in the following ways:
- Speak to an advisor on the phone: 0300 3300 1025.
Increasing your income and budgeting help
You can also find out about increasing your income by renting out a room, and see if you are entitled for help with your mortgage. If you are a landlord, you can find out about your responsibilities, which include making sure your tenant is claiming all the benefits they are entitled to.
Advice for service providers
Social Welfare Advice Partnership (SWAP)
We host a monthly forum for various organisations that offer advice in Leicester. SWAP aims to allow regular communication between advice providers. The group discuss any information, issues or future changes to Leicester's advice services. The group is important to us, as members work closely with you the public to understand how local and national changes impact on you and your communities.
You can view the advice services guide, SWAP arrangements document and guidance for recognising social welfare problems at the bottom of this page.
You can nominate your organisation to join SWAP by sending us an email.
Ring us on: 0116 454 1006