Advice and guidance
Find out about changes to benefits and how they may affect you.
What benefits can I claim?
For those who need help with housing costs or council tax. You can claim:
- Housing benefits - to help you pay towards your rent if you are on a low income
- Council tax support (CTS) - you may be able to claim council tax support if you receive a council tax bill, and are on a low income or claiming benefits
- Universal Credit - intended to assist those who receive a low income or who are not in employment.
Additional schemes to help city residents with their housing costs or council tax:
- Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) - assistance with your housing costs
- Council Tax Discretionary Relief (CTDR) - if you cannot afford to pay all of your council tax bill
- Community support grants - support for vulnerable people who are experiencing financial difficulties.
Help with travel costs
We also offer some travel assistance for those register unemployed. Travel aid is a concessionary travel pass available for Leicester residents who are registered unemployed, to help them seek work. Find out about concessionary travel for unemployed people.
Where can I go for help and advice?
There is a wide range of different advice services available to Leicester residents.
Citizens Advice LeicesterShire
If you would like help or advice about benefits, you can contact Citizens Advice LeicesterShire. The support available is free, independent and confidential, and covers a range of advice, including; debt and budgeting, housing, employment, family issues, immigration and community care. Referrals also be made for specialist advice for welfare benefits, housing and debt.
The Citizens Advice LeicesterShire Website can also help you with common issues.
You can contact them by telephone or email to receive advice or to arrange a face to face appointment.
- Speak to an advisor on the phone: 0300 330 1025. (9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4.30pm Friday)
- Contact an advisor by email: org/get-advice/email-advice.
A new 'Help to Claim' scheme can support you to make a new claim for Universal Credit from opening your account to receiving your first full payment. The scheme is appointment based. Speak to an advisor to make an appointment. Freephone 0800 144 8444.
Increasing your income and budgeting help
You can also find out about increasing your income by renting out a room, and see if you are entitled for help with your mortgage. If you are a landlord, you can find out about your responsibilities, which include making sure your tenant is claiming all the benefits they are entitled to.
Advice for service providers
Social Welfare Advice Partnership (SWAP)
We host a bi-monthly forum for various organisations that offer advice in Leicester. SWAP aims to allow regular communication between advice providers. The group discuss any information, issues or future changes to Leicester's advice services. The group is important to us, as members work closely the public to understand how local and national changes impact on you and your communities.
You can nominate your organisation to join SWAP by sending us an email.
EU Settlement Scheme
The EU Settlement Scheme, launched on 30 March 2019 allows EU citizens to continue to live, work and study in the UK without any immigration time restrictions after the UK leaves the European Union. You can find further details about this scheme on our EU Settlement Scheme page.