Jobs website offline

Sorry our jobs website is currently offline. We're working to fix the issue - apologies for any inconvenience caused.


Council tax support

Every household – except those over state retirement pension age – has to pay towards their council tax. Council tax support (previously know as council tax benefit) will help to pay your council tax bill if you are on a low income. You must apply for the support as it is not granted automatically.

Further information

What does the scheme take into account of? 

  • Your needs
  • Your capital
  • Your household income
  • Band of your property
  • Upper limit - The maximum council tax support is 80 per cent of the charge for your council tax band.
  • Minimum amount - If your reduction, when calculated, is less than £3.70 per week, no reduction will be awarded.  

The full rules governing our scheme are available at the bottom of this page. In summary: 

  • You now have to contribute at least 20 per cent towards your council tax bill – about £246 a year for a band A property – no matter what benefits you receive.
  • Council tax support has been capped to a band B value – currently £1,432.70. This means that if you live in a property that is above band B the most you will receive is £1,146.16.
  • You will have to pay the full council tax bill if you have more than £6,000 in savings or investments (some savings/investments are exempt).
  • We will only pay towards the council tax bill when you are awarded more than £3.70 per week through the scheme.
  • We have removed the second adult rebate, where some people used to get a reduction on their council tax bill if another adult, who wasn’t their partner, lived with them. 

How much benefit are you entitled to? 

You can use our housing benefit and council tax support calculator to estimate how much benefit you may be entitled to. This information can be automatically added to your online claim form if you decide to apply.

Our council tax discretionary relief scheme could also help if you are struggling to pay your council tax. 

Universal Credit 

If you have applied for Universal Credit and you are liable for council tax you will still need to apply for council tax support. Find out more on our Universal Credit section.

Please contact us to discuss your account whilst your claim for Universal Credit is being assessed.

Contact us 

Send us an email
0116 454 1006