I am moving into work and my benefits have ended
If you are in the position of starting a new job and your benefits have ended, you can apply for a crisis grant if it may be some time before your first wage payment is due.
What we can help with
We can help for a short-term period with daily living essentials. This will usually be issued in the form of food parcels or vouchers for gas/electricity prepayment meters if you are liable for the property.
If you are awarded, you will be asked to collect your award from a city centre location or make arrangements for someone to collect on your behalf.
We cannot help with clothes or travel fares for starting a new job. However, contact your Jobcentre advisor who may be able to arrange some support for this through the Flexible Support Fund.
What do I need to do before making an application?
Community Support Grants are available to people without sufficient resources to support their daily living needs. Therefore you should exhaust other provisions before seeking our support.
Other provisions you can check before considering a Community Support Grant:
- You must check with your new employer whether they can offer you an advance on your wage. We may ask for written evidence from your employer if they refuse your request.
- Friends or family may be able to help you.
- Check if charitable organisations are able to assist.
Tips for submitting an application
- The application form will take around 30 minutes to complete.
- We will ask for details of your new job and you may be asked to provide your contract of employment.
- Ensure you have details to hand like your National Insurance number and full address (including postcode).
- Check details of any other income as you will be asked to detail each sort of income you receive, the amount and the next payment date. Equally, you will be asked about your expenses.
- Evidence will be required to support your application. This will be advised to you upon submission of the application.
Each case will be treated on its own merits, and all customers will receive equal and fair treatment.
How do I apply?
Call us on 0116 454 1019 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 5pm) to apply.