I have a sanction or suspension on my current benefit claim
This could be failure to attend a Jobcentre appointment or not submitting a sick note on time.
If the DWP has ended your claim and you do not have the prospect of any of other income you should not use this situation. Speak to the Jobcentre or Citizens Advice about your options of making another claim or challenging a decision from the DWP. We may be able to help if you make another claim, see I am awaiting payment of a new benefit claim.
What we can help with
We can help for a short-term period with daily living essentials. This will usually be issued in the form of food parcels or vouchers for gas/electricity prepayment meters if you are liable for the property.
If you are awarded, you will be asked to collect your award from a city centre location or make arrangements for someone to collect on your behalf.
What do I need to do before making an application?
Community Support Grants are available to people without sufficient resources to support their daily living needs. Therefore you should exhaust other provisions before seeking our support.
Other provisions you can check before considering a Community Support Grant:
- With your current benefit claim, you may be able to get a Hardship Payment from the Jobcentre, call 0345 608 8545. You must request this before making an application.
- Friends or family may be able to help you.
- Check if charitable organisations are able to assist.
Tips for submitting an application
- The application form will take around 30 minutes to complete
- We will ask you about your income so make sure you know when your last payment was and how much it was for.
- Ensure you have details to hand like your National Insurance number and full address (including postcode).
- Check details of any other income as you will be asked to detail each sort of income you receive, the amount and the next payment date. Equally, you will be asked about your expenses.
- Evidence will be required to support your application. This will be advised to you upon submission of the application.
Each case will be treated on its own merits, and all customers will receive equal and fair treatment.
How do I apply?
Call us on 0116 454 1019 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am - 4.30pm) to apply.