I am a victim of harassment or abuse
If you are a victim of abusive or threatening behaviour by someone close to you or near your home, and have been offered a new or alternative property to move to, you can make an application.
What we can help with
If you are unable to provide basic items in your new property, we can look to help you, your partner and any dependent children moving with you. For example
- Essential furniture (like a bed and mattress, sofa, dining table)
- White goods for your kitchen (like a cooker and a fridge)
- Household goods (like crockery, cutlery, bedding).
Please note that items are awarded from our Re-use Furniture Bank Scheme so the items are second hand but are suitable for use and, where necessary, have been tested. For reasons of hygiene, we always provide new mattresses.
What do I need to do before making an application?
Community Support Grants are available to people without sufficient resources to provide these items themselves. Therefore you should exhaust other provisions before seeking our support.
Other provisions you can check before considering a Community Support Grant:
- Report the incident to the police on 101. In an emergency, dial 999.
- Specialist help and advice is available through United Against Violence and Abuse.
- If possible, you should use any furniture you have already, be that from an old property or if you have it in storage.
- Your landlord may provide your property furnished or may be able to provide it if you ask.
- Your family or friends may be able to provide some items.
- If you are in receipt of certain benefits, you may be able to obtain a Budgeting Loan.
Tips for submitting an application
- The application form will take around 30 minutes to complete.
- Ensure you have details to hand like your National Insurance number, full addresses (including postcode) for the properties you're moving from and to.
- Think what items you will need for your property. A grant will be limited to essential items.
- Check details of your income as you will be asked to detail each sort of income you receive, the amount and the next payment date. Equally, you will be asked about your expenses. You may find a Budgeting Statement would be helpful.
Each case will be treated on its own merits, and all customers will receive equal and fair treatment.
Start your application
As part of the application process you will need to answer a number of questions related to your circumstances. If you are eligible you will be directed to the main application form.
If you start an application, we recommend completing and submitting it rather than saving. The online application has a facility to save your application before submitting. If you save an application, please keep a note of the reference number and password. To continue with your application, you will need to click the below 'Start your application' link below and complete the pre-application questions again and then you will have an option to 'Load saved application'.
When you are taken to the application, you will be presented with a list of available options for the form, please ensure you select 'I am a victim of harassment or abuse'.