Skip to content

Coronavirus hasn't gone away

Get the latest information and advice

Households with disabled people

Under occupancy rules apply equally to disabled people. If your home has been significantly adapted and a room is no longer able to be used as a bedroom, you might be able to apply for help with your rent through the discretionary housing payment fund.

If you have a child or adult with a disability which means that they are not able to share a room – for example because a child has severe disabilities and they disturb the sleep of the other child – you might be allowed an extra bedroom.

We take each case individually and will consider whether the disability is so disruptive that the children cannot be expected to share a room.

You may be allowed an additional bedroom if you require a overnight carer staying over frequently and who is not part of your household.