Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a benefit rolled out by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), through your local Jobcentre Plus. Introduced in Leicester in June 2018, it is a single monthly payment for people out of work or on a low income and will replace six existing benefits.

Further information

Social Welfare Advice Service

A new advisory service was launched on 1 April 2019, to be delivered by Citizens Advice LeicesterShire, Community Advice and Law Service and our specialist welfare benefits service.

The service will provide advice, information and guidance on welfare benefits, debt, housing, employment, immigration, family issues and discrimination. Initial assessment will be made via Citizens Advice LeicesterShire who will advise clients/support workers or refer them for further support. 

What benefits does Universal Credit replace?

  1. Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
  2. Income-related Employment and support allowance
  3. Income support
  4. Working tax credit
  5. Child tax credit
  6. Housing benefit.

How will it be different?

Universal Credit is claimed online. Payments are made monthly directly into your bank, building society or Post Office account. It also includes an amount for your housing costs (rent payment). You are responsible for paying rent to your landlord. If you do not have a bank account, you will need to set one up before you claim.

If you need help to pay your council tax, you could get council tax support information on the following link:

Will it affect me?

If you are already receiving one of the six benefits it replaces, you might not have to claim Universal Credit for some time unless your circumstances change.

If you do not have a change in circumstances, your claim will be transferred to Universal Credit over time. The switch, called managed migration, is expected to be finished by 2022 or 2023.

How we can help


Don't have a computer/internet access? Or need further help?

Don't have a computer/internet access? Or need further help?

Do you need help claiming online or need financial support? Find out how we can help with your Universal Credit claim through Universal Support.
Get help through Universal Support

I am a landlord - what do I need to know? 

You can read the Universal Credit and rented housing guide on the GOV.UK website.

Information and advice elsewhere

Find out more on GOV.UK