Universal Support

Whether you need access to a telephone, computer, internet access or financial advice - we can help you to manage your Universal Credit claim through Universal Support.

Further information

Further information

Social Welfare Advice Service

A new advisory service was launched on 1 April 2019, to be delivered by Citizens Advice LeicesterShire, Community Advice and Law Service and our specialist welfare benefits service.

The service will provide advice, information and guidance on welfare benefits, debt, housing, employment, immigration, family issues and discrimination. Initial assessment will be made via Citizens Advice LeicesterShire who will advise clients/support workers or refer them for further support. 

What digital support is available?

Need access to a computer or the internet?

You can get free internet and PC access at any of our following locations:

Digital support sessions

If you need support to make a Universal Credit claim or to manage your account/journal - we can help. We are running two-hour sessions to provide digital support for:

  • Universal Credit
  • My Account
  • Housing online
  • Other online or digital services
Location Day/time
St Matthews Neighbourhood Centre Monday: 9am - 11am
Hamilton Library Monday: 11.45am - 1.45pm
BRITE Centre Tuesday: 9.30am - 11.30am
Customer Service Centre (Granby Street) Tuesday: 1.30pm - 4pm
Pork Pie Library and Community Centre Wednesday: 9am - 11am
New Parks Library Wednesday: 12pm - 2pm
Beaumont Leys Library Wednesday: 3pm - 5pm
Belgrave Neighbourhood Centre Thursday: 2.30pm - 4.30pm
Central Library Friday: 9.30am - 11.30am

For more information ring us on: 0116 454 1900

Register your interest for a taster session and we'll get back in touch with you - select ‘Universal Credit digital taster session’ to tell us which course you wish to attend. You can also refer on behalf of the claimant.

Not on Universal Credit yet but want to improve your general IT skills?

If you are not yet moving onto UC but would like to improve your IT skills to gain confidence, we are able to offer courses locally to help you do this. The courses are designed to help you to find your way safely around the internet, set up personal email addresses (essential if you have to apply for UC in the future) - sign up and make the most of going online. 

Free sessions are available at the following libraries: Beaumont Leys, Belgrave, Central, New Parks and Westcotes. You can book onto a session using the link below.

  • Book onto a session - select ‘Improving my IT skills’ to tell us which course you wish to attend. You can also refer on behalf of the claimant.

Supportive Universal Credit skills programme

Do you lack digital skills but have other circumstances which make it difficult for you to use a computer? You can get help you with your UC application alongside other support, such as English as a second language (ESOL), reading, writing skills and any disabilities you may have:

Get help from Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

If you are unable to complete the online universal application form yourself and need help, you can visit any of the three JobCentre Plus offices mentioned below. If you are housebound then you can also telephone the UC Helpline 0800 328 9344 to make an application over the telephone or arrange a home visit. 

JobCentre Plus office locations are:

  • 3 Charles Street, Leicester, LE1 3JB 
  • 2A New Walk, City Centre, Leicester, LE1 6TF
  • 60 Wellington Street, Leicester, LE1 6DS.

Please note – if you wish to complete an application you will need to have all relevant documentation with you, this includes your personal I.D, so take this with you if you are being supported to make a UC claim. If you don’t, this could delay your application and subsequent payment. Also ensure you take this information with you when you go to the Job CentrePlus office for your first appointment.


What financial support is available?

Personal budgeting support

Personal Budgeting Support is available to help claimants to manage their monthly payments and prioritise essential bills, such as rent and utilities. There are different ways to get support depending on your personal circumstances.

  • If you are confident using a computer and need some guidance about budgeting, access to online calculators and useful tips at GOV.UK.
  • If you need some support to help you manage your finances such as rent and utilities, or are in debt, you can contact Citizens Advice LeicesterShire on 0300 330 1025
  • If you need some extra financial support, see our 'Help and support' booklet.

Discretionary housing payments

If your UC housing costs do not cover the whole of your rent (i.e. you have a shortfall between the rent you pay your landlord and the amount you get in UC housing costs), you can apply for a discretionary housing payment (DHP).

Apply for crisis support

We’re here to help you through these difficult times and to stop you getting into debt or putting you at risk of homelessness. If you are struggling to pay all your bills while you are waiting for your benefits to be assessed, and you have already applied for and received a UC advance payment, we may be able to help. Find out more about the community support grant scheme.

Council tax support

Sometimes known as council tax reduction is still claimed by applying to us directly.

Apply for council tax discretionary relief (CTDR)

We can also help you if, once you have claimed council tax support, you still have a shortfall between your council tax liability and your council tax support. Apply for council tax discretionary relief (CTDR)

Do you need money advice?

If you are getting into debt or worried how you will manage to pay your bills while you are waiting for your UC claim to be assessed - we can help. We can offer support so that you can focus on getting a job, getting more work or getting better work. For more information, contact Citizens Advice LeicesterShire on 0300 330 1025.