Gilroes Crematorium was opened in 1902 and is the second oldest municipal crematorium in the country. Since opening the crematorium has conducted more than 200,000 cremations. The crematorium provides a dignified setting for funeral services, in beautiful and peaceful surroundings.
Services at the crematorium
Service times are available Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 4pm. Service times are one hour but this can be extended if required. Saturday morning cremations are available on request (subject to a surcharge).
Seating is available for up to 100 people in each chapel with additional seats in each side chapel viewing room.
The chapels are non-denominational so that different religions can hold funeral services in appropriate surroundings.
For people with hearing difficulties an induction loop has been installed, and external speakers are also available.
Personalising the funeral service
High quality digital multi-media services are available at the crematorium to enable every service to be personalised.
To organise and order music, visual tributes, webcasting or recordings, please contact your Funeral Director. Please see our price list for the current fees for all digital services.
Music and visual tribute services
The Obitus music system contains more than 500,000 pre-recorded tracks and hymns. New tracks can be requested in advance. Alternatively, an organist can be arranged to play at the service by a funeral director.
Visual tributes are an option that allows the displaying of photos or short video clips on the chapel screens during the service. These can be professionally edited to include music.
Webcasting and recording services
Webcasting and recording services are offered so that families can capture funeral services for those who cannot physically attend. Services are webcast and recorded by a discreetly located camera at the back of the chapel, allowing friends and families to be a part of the service without ever leaving their home. Services may be recorded onto a USB, DVD or Blue Ray disc.
Top tips for webcast viewing
- We recommend that you test your connection ahead of the webcast viewing to ensure you can log in to the system correctly. Check the internet connection to your device is stable and good quality – you’ll get the best results from a wired network.
- Enter your log in details by cutting and pasting from the notification email rather than re-typing the codes (that way you’ll avoid mistyping these.
- Try to avoid watching webcasts on mobile data connections and use Wi-Fi if at all possible.
- Please ensure that any updates or background tasks on your device have been cleared or completed – it is possible that these may interfere with the connection.
- If sharing a Wi-Fi connection with other devices, it’s sensible to ask other users not to use the internet whilst you are watching the webcast - this may interfere with your connection.
- If your webcast view is static or does not start on time, try to refresh your browser.
- Car parking
- Disabled parking
- Waiting area with refreshments
- Gardens of Remembrance
- Books of Remembrance
Where is Gilroes Cemetery and Crematorium?
Groby Road, Leicester, LE3 9QG
Telephone: 0116 373 7327
Fax: 0116 373 7330