Skip to content
In this section

Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

Unless you are getting married in the Church of England or the Church in Wales you will both need to give a notice at the register office in the district you live in. Please only request an appointment to give notice with us if you live in the city of Leicester.

If you are not a British or Irish citizen or do not have indefinite leave to remain in the UK, please read the information on GOV.UK before contacting our office for an appointment.

The Civil Partnerships, Marriages and Deaths (Registration Etc.) Act 2019 will come into force on 4 May 2021. 

The Act provides for the modernisation of marriage registration for the first time since 1837, by introducing a marriage schedule system and registration in an electronic register. The process will move away from the current paper register, introducing a more secure system for keeping marriage records.   

What will this mean for couples on the day of their ceremony? 

  • You can include more than one person, as mother/father/parent, to be recorded in the marriage entry and on marriage certificates, instead of only fathers' names as is currently the case 
  • There will be a schedule to be signed by the couple, their witnesses and the Superintendent Registrar and Registrar officiating on the day. This will replace the handwritten marriage registers currently in use. 
  • No certificates can be provided at the ceremony.   

How will the wedding be registered? 

  • The schedule will be returned to the Local Registration Service whereby the schedule will be input on to the electronic register as a record of the event 
  • If you are having a civil wedding, or a ceremony in a religious building where a civil Registrar will be present, we will return the schedule for you 
  • If you are having a wedding in a religious building without the presence of a Registrar, the marriage schedule will need returned to the Local Registration Service within 21 days so it can be registered 

How can we purchase official certificates of the marriage? 

  • After your ceremony you can apply for a marriage certificate online
  • Due to coronavirus restrictions the certificate will be posted to you
  • Please note that we are unable to produce the certificates until the Marriage has been entered on to the electronic register.   
  • If you were married in a religious building, without the presence of a Registrar the marriage schedule will need returned to the Local Registration Service within 21 days.  Certificates cannot be issued until this has been received and registered. 

Current coronavirus guidelines

The Government has confirmed that England has moved in to step 4 of the roadmap. However, with the number of infections still high, we are choosing to take a cautious approach to unlocking.

You are required to wear face coverings when attending the Town Hall. We also encourage attendees to take a lateral flow test prior to attending the ceremony. To help keep everyone safe, our staff will be wearing face coverings and will maintain social distancing in our buildings. 

The numbers now allowed in our marriage rooms will be: 

  • Laurel room – up to 8
  • Fountain room – up to 20 
  • Oak room – up to 56

You can view images of our ceremony rooms below.

Laurel room

Fountain room

Oak room

Can I give notice of marriage if I have already booked to get married within the next three months?  

Due to the high volume of enquiries we are receiving, and the number of appointments cancelled due to lockdown, we can only book those marrying in the next three months for now.  

If you have already booked to get married within the next three months, you can request an appointment to give notice of marriage.

Can I give notice of marriage if I do not have original documents?

No, you must have original valid (not copies) documents to give notice of marriage. Please do not request an appointment unless you have the following documents available:

  • passport
  • full birth certificate
  • visas as appropriate
  • biometric residents permit
  • proof of address
  • change of name documents
  • divorce papers

Our team will advise which documents you will need to bring to your appointment.

Request an appointment to give notice

We will reply in due course, please do not chase your enquiries