Skip to content

Marriages abroad

A marriage carried out in accordance with the law of a foreign country cannot be registered in this country.

Using British documents overseas

If you intend to use British documents overseas, you may be asked to have your documents legalised before they can be accepted. The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) stamp of authenticity gives the person that you are dealing with complete confidence that it is the genuine article.

Use the details below to get in touch with the FCO.

Contact The Legalisation Office

Write to them: The Legalisation Office, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, PO Box 6255, Milton Keynes MK10 1XX
Ring them on: 0370 000 2244
Send an email