Council tax support

Our council tax support scheme compares your income to your needs and calculates the amount of reduction, if any, you are entitled to.

Further information

Council tax support scheme name change

As of 1 April 2018, the council tax reduction scheme will be referred to as council tax support. No changes have been made to the scheme apart from the change of name.

What does the scheme take account of?

You must apply for the reduction as it is not granted automatically.

Your needs

A calculation of your needs is made on the basis of your household circumstances. Allowances are made for the council tax payer(s), their partner(s) and their children, in the same way as for housing benefit, except that no allowances are made for adults living with you who are not your partner.

Your capital

Savings, shares and property totalling £6,000 or more disqualifies you from receiving council tax support. Some capital is disregarded when calculating how much capital you have, however you must tell us about all savings and property that you hold.

Your income

If the income of yourself and your partner, if you have one is higher than your calculated needs, then every £1 per week that you earn over your needs allowance means that your lose 20p per week council tax support.


If your property has been placed in council tax Band C or above, the maximum amount of council tax support will be calculated as though your property was in Band B.

Upper limit

The maximum council tax support is 80 per cent of the charge for your council tax band.

Minimum amount

If your reduction, when calculated, is less than £3.70 per week, no reduction will be awarded. 

The full rules governing the scheme are available below, along with brief explanatory notes. A leaflet outlining the new scheme will be available shortly .

Access further services