Prevent is about safeguarding people and communities from terrorism, and stopping people becoming terrorists.
It is one of the four elements of the government’s counter-terrorism strategy.
The Prevent strategy
- Responds to the ideological challenge we face from terrorism.
- Responds to extremism, and the threat we face from those who promote extremist views.
- Provides practical help to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism.
- Works with a wide range of sectors (including education, criminal justice, faith, charities, and health) where there are risks of radicalisation.
- Covers all forms of terrorism, including far-right extremism and some aspects of non-violence extremism.
Prevent uses a range of measures to challenge extremism including:
- Supporting people who are at risk of being drawn into terrorist or extremist activity through the Channel process.
- Working with community groups that provide services and support to vulnerable people.
- Working with faith groups and institutions to assist them in providing guidance to people who may be vulnerable.
- Supporting local schools, businesses and partner agencies through engagement, advice and training.
Concerned about a child or young person?
The NSPCC has launched a free 24-hour service to support adults who have concerns about children and young people being radicalised or who need advice on how to talk to their children about issues related to terrorism.
NSPCC helpline practitioners have been trained to spot the warning signs of radicalisation so they can advise adults who are worried about a child being groomed. The training included how recruiters might befriend vulnerable young people, feed them ideologies or persuade them to commit terrorist attacks.
If you’re worried, you can call the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000 or visit their website.
What do I do if I have a prevent query?
- Email Leicestershire Police Prevent team or call 0116 248 6726.
- Email the Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Prevent co-ordinator or call 0116 273 3459
Prevent strategy projects
Leicester Prevent is inviting applications from groups and organisations that can support the Prevent strategy through the development and delivery of projects in 2019-2020. We are aiming to find innovative ways to prevent people from becoming radicalised to support or carry out acts of terrorism.
Potential projects must focus explicitly on one or more of the following objectives in line with the revised Prevent strategy:
- reducing the risk of radicalisation within a particular sector (e.g. health) or demographic (e.g. young people)
- working with vulnerable individuals or groups through outreach projects
- addressing terrorist use of the internet through online radicalisation
- delivering new and innovative ways of working to deliver Prevent objectives
- working to reduce the risk of radicalisation in Leicester.
If you are interested, you can find the expression of interest below.