Moving to a smaller home
As part of a bid to tackle under-occupation of council homes in Leicester, we are offering council and housing association tenants the chance to move into a smaller home.
You may decide to move because the house you live in is too big, is difficult to look after, or difficult to keep warm.
We run a scheme called Easy Move for people interested in downsizing. You can read more about the scheme by downloading the booklet at the bottom of the page.
Benefits of the scheme include:
- you could save money: move from a four to a two-bedroom house and save around £1,500 a year; move from a three-bedroom house to a one-bedroom flat and you could also save £1,500
- you will be added to the housing register
- you will get extra priority on the housing register
- you will benefit from a free removals service
- you will get help disconnecting and reconnecting washing machines and cookers
- you will be given help and support through the moving process
- you can choose the area you would like to live in
- you can look at homes before deciding to move
- if you live in a house with four or more bedrooms, you can choose to move to a one, two or three bedroom home.
To find out if your housing association is taking part or to find out how to join the scheme, please call us on 0116 454 1007 or send us an email.
The Easy Move scheme is available subject to funding and may be withdrawn at any time. To qualify for the scheme you must be applying for homes through Leicester HomeChoice, and the scheme is not available when completing an exchange.