Houses in multiple occupation

A property is classed as a house in multiple occupation (HMO) if at least three tenants live there, forming more than one household, and they share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities.

Further information

Landlords are required to make sure the property is safe to live in and ensure repairs are carried out where necessary. You should contact planning to find out if planning permission is required for the property to be used as a house in multiple occupation (HMO).

HMOs must be licensed with us if all of the following apply:

  • five or more tenants live there, from more than one household.

You can receive a civil penalty or prosecuted for renting out an unlicensed HMO.

Contact us for further advice or to obtain an application pack.

The documents available for download at the bottom of the page outline the standards which must be met in HMOs. There is also a list of HMOs licensed with us.

Contact us

Ring us on: 0116 454 1000
Send us an email